Friday, December 08, 2006

Introduction to Journal 3 - A Secret Childhood Place

For the third piece, I had to choose a journal or blog. I picked Journal 3, “A Secret Childhood Place”, which I wrote the second week of the Fall Quarter. With this assignment, I had to create an awareness of voice, and I believe I did this through sensory detail. Although it was one of the first journals I had written for this class, I chose it because I felt it had better sensory details over the other journals I had written. The sensory details in this piece took me back in time, when I was a child; I could envision myself running around my grandmother's house, exploring all that there was to see. The following is an example of sight and sound sensory detail included in this piece: “There were bird cages with yellow and white canaries, parakeets, and cockatiels. Along the patio, bird cages hung in every open window. She had big overstuffed chairs on the patio to sit while taking in the warmth of the sun. In the morning, we would awaken to the chirping of the many beautiful birds." And with the following, I believe the senses of sight, smell, and touch could be invoked. "My grandmother also had a wonderful garden in back of the house, which included fruit trees of peaches, mangoes, and avocados. She had a lot of plants and roses of many colors, red, pink, yellow and white. I loved to spend time in her garden, smelling the flowers and playing under the shade of the trees.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home