Friday, December 08, 2006

Introduction to Mexico City Memories - Through A Child's Eyes

For my first choice, I had to pick a major writing assignment that best represented my writing abilities. I chose "Mexico City Memories – Through A Child’s Eyes", a descriptive narrative, which was also my second major writing assignment. It was written during the seventh and eighth week of the Fall Quarter. It is a descriptive narrative about a trip I took to Mexico City to visit family when I was ten years old. I believe it represents one of my strongest written pieces because I had to use several writing effects. The story had to have a beginning, middle, and end. I incorporated dialogue, which I wrote in Spanish because the original coversation was spoken in Spanish. I included footnotes with the English translations. I had to use transitions, sensory detail to show-not-tell, and also create a dominant impression. I believe I captured some of these effects when I wrote, “My Tia Isabel, my fathers’s sister, must have heard the car’s engine because she was already half way out of the front door when we pulled up the dirt path to the house. I will never forget the look on my Tia Isabel’s face as she hurried out of the house to embrace my father as he stepped out of the car. She tenderly cupped his face with her palms as tears streamed down her cheeks.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home