Friday, December 08, 2006

Introduction to My Mother, My Friend

For the second piece, I chose a descriptive paragraph, which I wrote during the third and fourth week of the Fall Quarter. This piece is titled “My Mother, My Friend”. This was my first major writing assignment and I really enjoyed writing this piece. First, I learned that a descriptive paragraph is not a story, but rather a description about a person, place, or thing. I learned how to create a strong topic sentence, and how that sentence should tie into the conclusion. Through this writing assignment, I also learned how to show-not-tell. By using sensory detail, I was able to capture my mother’s personality. For example, I wrote: “One of her best outfits was a striped knit Capri pantsuit, leather boots up to her knees, and her hair worn teased up high. I thought she looked so sexy.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home